Thursday, February 11, 2010

Brynlie's Heart

This post is in honor of Valentine's Day, and an honor to Brynlie's heart. Fifth grade has been a bit crazy this year. There have been raging hormones in some children, and Brynlie, to be quite honest, has been apalled. To her, boys are good friends and great competition on the soccer field. A few weeks ago Brynlie came home a bit disgusted that people were actually asking each other to be their Valentines. With a rolling of the eyes and a look of disgust Brynlie relayed to me all of the "couples." She also made it known to many that she thought that was just plain silly. That is until Monday. Let me introduce you to Isaac. We have known Isaac since Kindergarten. He is quite the sensitive guy. He is very quiet and to be honest reminds me of Baloo the bear in the jungle book. It has been said that he has had a crush on Brynlie since Kindergarten and yet he never talks to her. Well Monday he walked right up to Brynlie and asked her to be his Valentine. She told him that she would have to get back to him. Well Monday night she was so distraught. She didn't know what to do. Jeff and I told her that she could blame it on us and say no. She could also say that she didn't think she was old enough, then other kids became involved. Some of the boys teased him and told him that she would never in a million years be his Valentine. And then Brynlie's friends and other girls in the 5th grade told him absolutely no way. Tuesday after school I could tell that Bryn had the weight of the emotional world on her shoulders and then she shocked me. After a long talk she asked permission to call Isaac (yes, she is not allowed to call boys). The conversation went something like this, "Hi, is Isaac there?" "Isaac, it is Brynlie, will you be MY Valentine?" Then she had a huge smile and hung up. I guess when you are a Valentine you are expected to exchange gifts. Bryn, Jeff and I went to the store and picked out two cute small safe gifts. What we didn't know is that after she called he was at the park and was sharing his great news. A few mean kids decided to ruin his mood and told Isaac that it wasn't true and that she couldn't possibly mean it. This morning at Safety Patrol he got out of the car and walked right up to Bryn and asked, "Brynlie were you serious, or just kidding?" Brynlie smiled and said, "Isaac, I was serious." I admit, I had to hold back the tears as I watched a darling young man roll his shoulders back and actually strut, well maybe run, to line up. I hope that Brynlie always maintains her huge heart. Love you Bryn! Dad and I are so lucky to be your parents.

6 Comments:

heather February 11, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

That is the sweetest story!!! Happy Valentine's Day to your cute family!

Anonymous February 11, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

That is the sweestest story!!! Just tell her that in no way is she to have a mock wedding at recess!! (like someone else i know :) )

Lanna February 11, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

You are such a great mom! I hope Kayla and I can have that kind of relationship when she gets a little older. Although I am not pushing the valentine thing...You are awesome Heidi. Really an inspiration.

Morgan Garrett February 14, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

She really is amazing. Brynlie has a wise spirit and a heart of gold. What 11 year old girl thinks and cares like she does? This story is only a glimpse into why my girls tell
me weekly that they miss her. She makes me want to cry! Love her!

Cindi February 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

That was so neat- I hope you are writing this down for her- this is a story that Brynlie will want to remember. That is awesome! Valentines Day can be a day to remember all the people we care about- it is not always about the boyfriend/girlfriend, or husband and wife love. Way to go Brynlie- it sounds like you made Issac feel good about himself- you built his self-esteem! :) It gives me the warm fuzzies!!

Kristin February 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

oh Brynlie, what a sweet heart. But, we already knew she was an amazing girl.....got to love her! My kids loved her babysitting, we will have to have her come again.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP