Thursday, September 17, 2009

Grass Stains - Each has a story to tell!

Yes, that is a picture of grass, and yes you read the post correctly. This weekend as I was pre-treating and scrubbing grass stains from football and soccer jerseys and pants, I remembered a conversation I had shared with a fellow baseball mom a few years ago. She was complaining that she had never seen so many grass stains before in her life. She was very annoyed and frustrated. She asked what product was best to use and how in the world did you get out the red dirt that we had played on in St. George and Mesquite? Here is the advice I gave her:

Each stain has a story to tell. I remember the very first time Tyson learned how to slide. He was covered in mud from his ankle to his hip, not to mention the huge spot on his bottom. We were there to witness this accomplishment and Jeff turned to me and said, “look at that stain mom.” I’ll admit I was horrified and in my mind I was trying to think of what would work best for its removal. Then Tyson stood up on the base, safe of course, and the grin that he had said it all. He had achieved a huge accomplishment. He was so proud of himself. The same can be said of Brynlie. When she plays soccer she gives it her all. Tyson is always quick to point out her grass stains and the awesome save, slide, kick that accompanied it.

Random post I know, but even this weekend as I was removing stains and helmet marks I had to quietly laugh and take pride in each stain and the memories and stories that they had to tell!

6 Comments:

Cindi September 17, 2009 at 11:48 PM  

I think as Moms we just have to learn to roll with it and not sweat the small stuff because in the end it doesn't really matter. What matters most are those precious memories you are able to be a part of in your children's lives. Thanks for sharing- I think it is good for all of us to remember that even a grass stain holds a memory! Love you Heidi!

Grandma and Grandpa Gillespie September 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

I totally agree with Cindi. May I add, the time passes way too quickly to fret over the small things. You blink your eyes and your little ones are gone and then have kids of their own. The empty nest syndrome is not for sissies and it is not nearly as much fun as getting out grass stains. I love your thoughtful and insightful post, Heidi! I miss all the girly antic also!
Love you, MOM

Anonymous September 19, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

Awesome outlook. It's like being proud of your scars too. They all have a story to tell.

kim and morgan September 21, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

What a cute post. Love the outlook. I wish I could think of the "key scratch stain" that Maggie made all over my wall. Not so cute. I need your attitude to rub off on me.

Meet the Falkners September 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

That is awesome! You are a great mom. I hope I can remember all those future grass stains and hope to see and scrub many as well. Thanks for your example as such an amazing mom.

Krista September 25, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

Thanks for sharing...That is a good reminder for me. You impress me every time with how grateful you are for everything in your life...even grass stains! See ya tonight!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP